Monday, July 19, 2010

3 P's for job search Success

I heard a quote from, I believe Henry Ford, that said “if you say you can or can’t either way you are right”. I think this holds true for nearly all of us. In looking for jobs, the Job Seeker often begins to doubt themselves. It is a long hard struggle that is often grueling and thankless. Every day, a job seeker spends hours looking to find that one good break on a job, that one perfect job, but often times they become discouraged. Well there are several things one can do to keep up that motivation and keep focusing on the can.

1. Power in people is a good motto to go with. People in our network have others in their network and so on. Finding the right people through that network can help one succeed. I am not saying call all your friends and ask them for the numbers of their friends so you can call them, but I am saying an ear to the ground catches a lot of information.

2. Positivity can only make the hunt better. When we fail to see all the good things that we do on a daily basis, we tend to forget that we are great people with the ability to do anything. I can remember hearing the story about the train that could, that stuck with me, If we continue to say “I think I can, I think I can", you will find out that you can. It just takes drive and determination.

3. Persistence is a major key factor that goes into any job search. If you do not realize that a job search is a full time job then you might be underestimating the world of employment search. So often the individuals I help with job readiness skills tell me that they drop off an application and wait to hear back from the employer. I will ask them what else they do and get the “wait by the phone” answer. Just like the money tree there is not an invisible job tree that grows, waiting for someone to come along and pluck the job from its limb.

The negative mentality that everything is impossible to do will just make it where you prove that right. If I were to agree with a person that a job is below them and they might not be able to do it, then I would be doing them and myself a great injustice. You can do anything you put your mind to, it might take more schooling, it might take more training, it might take learning more skills in that field, but you can do anything you set your mind to.

Our own minds hold us back from succeeding and having the great things we deserve. It is like living in a world blanketed by fear. “You never know until you try” to succeed. It is like looking across a crowded room and spotting a nice looking individual that you might want to talk with, but fear of rejection prevents you from approaching. If we live under that black, ominous cloud of doubt, waiting through life for something to happen to help us succeed, then we will be waiting a long time.

Come up with a game plan, set the goals both short and long, brainstorm like a hurricane blowing in your mind, and take control of the job search, seek and you will obtain the job of your passions, the one you dream about, and the one where every day would be like the first day. Fill the job search with friends and other positive people and remember to never surrender to the negative thoughts. If you think you can you will. If you think you can’t you will never know if you could.

No comments: