Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Other Duties as Assigned

Handling changes on the job can be a stressful and scary event.  I had my position change within the last month and it has thrown me for a small loop.  I normally work training ex-offenders in life skills, reintegration skills and employment skills, well about a month ago the grant I worked in ended and while waiting for the next one I was moved into a position that I was not trained for and had no idea what I was doing.  I was grateful to remain employed but had to learn to roll with the change.  My organizational skills jumped into play and off I went.  Getting all the paperwork caught up that had been neglected, meeting with the disabled clients and putting out fires.  This change took me away from my training classes and made it hard for me to cope.

Once I got beyond the stress of the change, got myself organized and continued to work with my Job Coach, I found some inner peace with the change.  I do know that this change is not forever since we were given an extension on the grant and another one in October so I will be going back to the training mode only in October.  From July to October I will still be doing both programs.  I am hoping that I am doing this program like they want but I am doing it to the best of my ability.

How do you handle job changes?  How do you handle new responsibilities?  Do you roll with them or do you curl up in a frustrated ball?  I have worked with many individuals who do not like or accept change very well, now there are times that I myself do not handle change well, but it takes people who can be around to help support you through it.  I have found when a manager gives you more responsibility or changes your position it is because they feel you can handle the change and do the job.  It is so important to know how you handle job changes because that one part of the job description that says “perform other duties as assigned” can come back and bite you if you are not careful. 

I find that it is important to build a career development plan to make sure you succeed in the job.  Knowing what you want to do and following that passion is the best thing for you to do.  Now there is no perfect job out there, each place will have its own quirks and problems.  You might find the best fit to your needs but remember when you accept the job it can change.  Learning to handle change is a great way to succeed in you job or your life.

No comments: