Friday, June 4, 2010

Co-workers that sabotage

Part 2




Co-workers that sabotage others, or at least try to so they look better themselves. This can be a dangerous web for an employer to find themselves in. I have witnessed individuals in different jobs do things and say things about another worker that were not true. When asked I do what I always do, tell the truth. I wonder what it is in human nature that makes sabotaging such an issue. I have this sneaking feeling that it has to do with the “keeping up with the joneses” mentality. Maybe there are just individuals out there who are so unhappy that they do not like to see others succeed, or maybe jealously rears it’s ugly head. Whatever the motivator is there is never a good outcome for anyone. Some suggestions if the individual is so unhappy in their job that they want others to be as miserable would be:

1.Remember the first day of work. The excitement, the meeting all the new people, and the friendly hand shakes received.

2. Do what you are expected to do. I mean 40 hours a week for 30 years comes out to 62,400 hours in a life time that we work. (that is if my math is correct) Make sure you do what you are expected to do.

3.Talk to your co-workers daily, even 2 minutes of small talk can help build better relationships.

4. Stay away from that group of complainers that every company has, to have the well poisoned is never good.

5. Document everything and always have some preparation for a meeting. This is not paranoia, but a good plan for anyone. Always have proof of what you do at a moments notice.

6. Rise above the situation. Not everyone at the job will or has to like you. If you are the person to them that you wish to be treated like things will work out more in your favor.



It is never fun when you find out that one person you felt you did not have a problem with, has a problem with you, or something you have done or received. Life is full of these fun kinds of interactions. Remember everything is a learning experience, just like everything you learned in life what you learn in the employment world has to be practiced. Trying to do everything yourself and not asking for help is one way individuals sabotage themselves. Is it pride that stumbles them? Is it that if I ask for help on something I might look incompetent? One can only answer that for themselves, but to make the best out of the 62,400 hours of work, one needs to remember that the feeling you had on that first day of work, can still be the feeling you have 30 years later.

Our own attitudes and values come into play even in the working world. Do we value that employer? Do we value that job? Do we show we value our co-workers? How our attitudes are at the job tend to speak loudly at how productive and dedicated we will be, and how long we will be with that same employer. Things we value often times are the things that we have an emotional investment in. Now, if we have a negative emotional attachment then we will have a negative experience, but if we have a positive attachment then only good things can happen. I personally do a thing I find helps keep me grounded and able to focus at work. I imagine a time clock outside the entrance to my job and every day I imagine that I clock into work. Now that does not sound strange but I take it further, I clock in to work and clock out personal life. I work my day, then when I leave I clock out of work and back into personal life. This helps me not bring home to work and work to home.

To have the best life at work, remember you are responsible for you, others might try and mess with your work life but the fact is the employer will look into any accusation no matter how false and come up with a solution. Cover your rear and do not only what you are expected to do, but stand out and do more. So the last ideas are try and find some humor in the sabotaging co-worker, try and stay away if that is necessary, and if all else fails, confront it head on, go to that person and find out why they are doing what they are doing.

No comments: